Obesity in children is on the rise and with the narrowing weight loss surgery cost it is evident that the need is high. Though obesity in childhood is associated to fewer medical problems than adults, overweight children are at high risk of becoming overweight adults, thus increasing their risk of diseases such as heart diseases, depression, hypertension and diabetes later in life and may also require liposuction if not controlled.
The most causes of obesity in children include-
- lack of physical activity
- unhealthy eating patterns
- Hormonal imbalance
It is always advised to get a medical examination to rule out the possibility of a medical condition causing obesity.
A child’s total diet and time spent being active plays an important role in determining a child’s weight. With modern lifestyle, number of children spend time indoors being less active. As computers, games and gadgets become increasingly popular, the number of hours of inactivity is increasing.
Obese children are likely to develop the following conditions:
- High cholesterol
- High blood pressure
- Early heart disease
- Bone problems
- Skin conditions such as heat rash, fungal infections, and acne
It is recommended to let an expert decide whether a child is overweight or not. Experts at a famous hospital in Darbhanga measure the child’s weight and height and compute his ”BMI,” or body mass index. They then compare this value to standard values and also take into account other factors such as age and growth patterns.
How to help an obese child?
The first step in helping your child if he/she is obese is being supportive. Make your child feel good about themselves irrespective of everything because they feel about themselves what parents feel about them. It is also important not ignore the situation and discuss with your child their weight issue and allow themselves to share their concerns. After consulting a specialist, proper counseling on changing the methods as a family is the key to address the problem. This will not only help the child, but it will improve the health and lifestyle of the entire family.
Some of the methods suggested by experts in weight loss surgery in India to involve the entire family in this exercise are as follows:
- Lead by example: If your child sees you as physically active and having fun, they are more likely to be active and stay active for the rest of their lives. Parents are the first role model for the child.
- Plan family activities: A group outing that provides everyone with exercise, like walking, biking, or swimming. This will ensure that the child does not feel like they are the subject of change in lifestyle.
- Be sensitive to your child’s needs: Overweight children may feel uncomfortable due to low self-esteem issues about participating in certain activities. It is important to help your child find physical activities that they enjoy without being embarrassed or feeling uncomfortable.
- Make an effort to reduce the amount of time the entire family spends in sedentary activities, such as watching TV or playing video games.
Hence, cardiologist in Darbhanga believes that a healthy approach towards changing the lifestyle of the child is to change the lifestyle for a family such that it does not appear like a punishment or a chore for the child alone.
Paras Institute of Dietetics & Nutrition in Darbhanga includes a team of expert nutritionists and counselors that provide safe, evidence-based dietary advice and management to individuals (in health and disease).Paras Global Hospital. (2019, May 28). Best Nutrition & Dietics Hopital in Darbhanga (literally) [Website]. Retrieved from /https://www.parashospitals.com/paras-hospitals-darbhanga/specialities/nutrition-dietetics/